11/16/2008

Wanda Sykes Comes Out!

Whoooooooa!!! I did not see this one coming. Call me naive, but I didn't. Funny lady Wanda Sykes "came out" of the closet officially yesterday.

I mean, I always thought of her as a bit "manly" at times but never a lesbian. NEVER! But hey... whatever floats ur boat babe! You like it... I love it! I'm assuming that it's all finally coming out because of the Prop 8 controversy in Cali which passed and thus putting a stop to gay marriages in the state. Wanda also announced that she and her girlfriend got married on the 25th of October... right before the election... so she was one of the smart ones I guess.

“You know, I don't really talk about my sexual orientation. I didn't feel like I had to. I was just living my life, not necessarily in the closet, but I was living my life," said Sykes, 44, while speaking at a Las Vegas rally for gay marriage.

“I got pissed off,” she continued. “They pissed me off. I said, 'You know what? Now I gotta get in your face' and that’s what we all have to do now. They pissed off the wrong group of people. They have galvanized a community...Instead of having gay marriage in California, we’re going to get it across the country.”

Sykes imagined a day when same-sex marriage would be allowed nationwide. “When my wife and I leave California, I want to have my marriage also recognized in Nevada, in Arizona, all the way to New York," she said. "How can you stop people from loving each other?”

She was cheered and applauded throughout her almost five-minute remarks. “I am proud to be a woman,” she said. “I’m proud to be a black woman and I’m proud to be gay”

Shortly after election day, Sykes was among the 5,000 or so who marched throughout Los Angeles to protest Prop 8.

2 comments:

Miz Cheekz said...

this caught me off guard too. and i like to think my gaydar works pretty well toward both men & women, but she got past me.

Jenn Martinson said...

Ditto...I didn't see that coming either. Now it's like Oh, yeah, that makes sense!