8/19/2008

Samuel L Jackson Speaks On Death Of His Friends

Samuel L. Jackson is finally speaking about the sudden death of his two co-stars in the movie "Soul Men", Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes. In the movie, Bernie Mac and Jackson are estranged members of a legendary soul group who reluctantly reunite to attend the funeral of another member of the group. Hayes plays himself in the film.

Jackson says that he was a bit intimidated about singing an Isaac Hayes song "Do Your Thing," while Hayes stood there and watched, but he got over it.

With regard to hearing about the passing of Bernie Mac, Jackson said, that he was lying in bed when he heard the news. "Somebody woke me up and told me. I got up to make sure, because there had already been a false alarm earlier that week, so I wanted to make sure it was true, first of all, before I reacted in any way," Jackson said. "And then to find out that he was dead, it was sad because I had just seen the film earlier that week. I immediately wondered had he seen it, would he have realized we had done something really great together. I found out from his manager that he hadn't [seen it]. That's a shame, but hopefully, the legacy of it all, everybody who sees the film they'll know we did something worthwhile."

He goes on to say, "Life is short, so, we have to enjoy it and do as much as we can," he continued. "I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to work with Bernie, because he was a friend and colleague, somebody that I loved a lot, and it was a joy to finally be able to do a film with him. It's a great film, great performance by him. I hope that when the film comes out, people will go and see it and enjoy it and remember him as the wonderful, jovial, full-of-life person that he was."

No comments: