8/29/2008

A-Team Dropped From Hot 107.9 Morning Show, Replaced By Rickey Smiley

For those of you who don't live in Atlanta, I'm sure you don't really care about this post, but for most Atlanta folks, especially those between the ages of 18-35 who listen to Hot 107.9's A-Team Morning show, I have some sad news for you. I was listening this morning and heard that Hot 107.9 today got rid of the morning show, the A Team, consisting of Rashan Ali, Griff, Beyonce, Akini and Emperor Searcy. (From two sources, I hear Rashan will do mid-days and Searcy will go back to late afternoons, but I’m not sure what happens to Beyonce and Akini. Griff’s publicist confirmed that he is out.)

The Web site was updated in the evening to show Beyonce still having a shift on the weekends. That bodes well for her. And Mizz Shyneka and Durrty Boyz seem fine for now. But no sign of E4Real. Temporarily, it appears Rashan and Searcy will do the mornings without Griff for now.

Here’s Griff’s official statement:
“The last 3 years and 6 months at Radio One have been a life changing experience. I thank my spiritual Father for the friends that I’ve met and worked with because I’ve learned so much and have grown as a person here in Atlanta. I’m excited about my future, I have a strong team of people helping to take me to new heights, and I will continue to make people laugh all over Atlanta at events and comedy clubs, while serving the community through my foundation, Positive Vibes. When I got home today, I read a book that said: ‘On this day the will of God is done in my life.’ That was all the closure I needed.”

The station is replacing them with a syndicated show led by Rickey Smiley. Rickey was here a few days ago and did interviews but never once led on about taking on the Atlanta audience. Maybe he didn't want to jump the gun, or maybe he's just truly professional with it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can not say that I am shocked. Their sister station 102.5 had already pretty much gotten rid of all their local deejays. I guess it was most cost beneficial to syndicate. Hopefully, Griff will learn from this experience and not be so condescending. This is his second firing from a Radio program, maybe now he will learn some life lessons because the biblical lessons he didn't seem to grasp too well. Best of luck to them all.

Anonymous said...

its just goes to show that ANYBODY can have a job today and be unemployed the next. I hope that they will rise above this and get something better. I guess thats why ryan cameron got up outta there, may be they should have followed his lead.

Anonymous said...

I live in Dallas and used to live in Atlanta. Rickey Smiley has made my transition here a whole lot better because of his funny azz morning show. It's WAY more than prank calls, his chemistry with his other coworkers are hilarious each one of them meshes very well. Frank and Wanda will be struggled to gain share of the Urban young market.

emmanuel said...

i just got a word for those who lost a position job or anything. ALL THINGS work 2gether 4da GOOD! acheive your DREAMS, your purpose is BIGGER than you, or any situation. So as you partner with GOD, nothing i say NOTHING is IMPOSSIBLE, focus &Believe.

much love