8/17/2008

Evin Cosby Doesn't Identify With Us Po' Black Folk!

Bill Cosby's youngest daughter, Evin Cosby says that she can empathize with what Sen. Barack Obama has been dealing with in regards to be considered a member of the African-American elite.

In an interview with The New York Daily News, the F.I.T. graduate and new boutique owner of PB & Caviar in New Yorks Tribeca district had this to say about growing up priviledged. "My own people used to say to me, 'You speak like a white woman,"

I can see where she's coming from with that, I've gotten it too as I've come up in the world. But then, chick goes on even further to dismantle her own credibility in the black community bay saying, "What does that even mean, anyway? Everyone has their way of speaking and living their life. No one should be judging and assuming that because I'm black, I have to speak in that hip-hop way. That's something I prefer not to do."

The youngest Cosby goes on to compare herself to Barack Obama by saying how Obama graduated from Harvard Law School and that alone is the excuse that people are using to say that the Senator is out of touch with the black community but he's done community organization in the black community for years. Really Evin?. So that's why folks are talking slick about Barack? Because he went to Harvard? C'mon now.

"I always went to private schools - Bank Street elementary, Columbia Prep - so I was surrounded by people like me. Not so much African-American, but privileged. I don't really have a connection to other people who didn't have my lifestyle. But my dad is very into helping people from his own community in Philadelphia."

In her new show located at 88 Thomas St, Cosby carries such labels as Vanita Rose, Anna Sui, Sestra Moja and Interluid for women, as well as clothing for children - thus the "peanut butter & caviar" name. Her comedian father encouraged her to open her own business, and it must be working. She opened the doors Thursday night and says she's already sold 36 pairs of Heelarius high-heels for babies.

I've always been told, "It's not what you say... but how you say it". I see that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree though does it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your title is not an accurate interpretation of what you quoted her as saying. Your article is not fair.

It sounds as if you are jealous and not able to make an intelligent and unbiased observation of an event or quote relating to black, without interpreting it as racist or one who is a black traitor or does not like their race.

Your article says more about you than Evin Cosby.
We are all more than our color.

Anonymous said...

Another Cosby out of touch!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jealous much?

Just proof of your inability to critically think and that you are a racist.