8/06/2008

We Come From Two Different Worlds But Our Love Is The Same

We are starting to see more and more interracial couples in today's society, specifically in the arena of black women dating outside of the black race. Why are black women finally crossing this barrier? Are the statistics of a good black man being damn near extinct really true? Are there no good brothers left to date anymore? The numbers say that those questions are pretty much the reasons why black women are crossing the racial divide on dating.

The statistics show that black female/white male marriages went from 27,000 in 1980 to 80,000 by 2000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The reason for this major increase may also be attributed with education. There are more black women attaining higher education degrees than black men. The number of black women earning degrees increased by 55 percent since the mid `70s, but 20 percent with men," It seems as if women who go to college and graduate want someone with the same educational level or more, and truth be told, black men just aren't there. That could be one reason why more black women are dating white men.

I grew up in California, where race really didn't matter. I have a brother who is 36 and has never ever dated a black woman. His excuse; look at me. I'm argumentative, aggressive, and I don't know how to let things go. Ok... that's me, but that's not every black woman out there. I know white women who are the same way. So using that as an excuse doesn't fly. But I've never had issues with dating outside of the black race. To me, it really doesn't matter. You love who you love. As long as they treat you right, and they respect you as a person, why does the color of their skin matter?

But you know, the funny thing with this is that, when black men see a black woman with a white guy, they damn near lose their minds! Why? Years ago, seeing a black man with a white woman used to make most black women livid. But now... hell, it's the norm. I guess it's because it's so new to them (black men). They see black women as "their" property, and no one elses. I'm sure it's just the double standard rearing it's head, but isn't it time to chop the head off of that beast?

We all know that the times are changing. It's evident! We have a black man running for president, and he's in the lead for the position. Our world is evolving. Isn't it time that our thoughts and ideals on the perfect BMW (black marriage working) do the same?

3 comments:

Jenn Martinson said...

My husband is white and I get TONS of shit from black men. All I can say is where were you fools when I was single??

Anonymous said...

where were you fools when I was single??

---

lmao. I bet you're thankful that it all worked out the way it did. I wouldn't trade a loving white man for anything in the world.

korkor said...

for some reason since childhood I've always wanted to date a white man although i never never have but after so many bad relationships with black men i just might try one. the white men i know are caring and fun hopefully it will work out