8/04/2008

What's Does Your Work Attire Say About You?

There is always that one chick at work that, for some reason or other, always seems to avoid the company dress code right? I'm sure we've all been in an office and looked at that chick and wondered why the hell would she wear that to work? I do it everyday at my job! But you have to wonder, how well is the company enforcing the dress code and when is it serious enough to draw the line, and more importantly, does your work attire say something about who you are as a person?

Case in point: Fishnet stockings. Are they appropriate work attire? Some may argue that there is no issue with them being worn to work, as long as it's not in a trampy or slutty manor. And to a point I agree. But then some, more traditional folks would say that the workplace is not the proper time to wear such stockings.

I have a friend in Texas who has the fiercest style game ever. She can wear anything and make it look good. (Shout out to Fashionnette-work.com) There were many times when she would wear her fishnets to work, but she would always wear them with a really cute skirt that at least came to her knees. She never wore them and it looked even remotely trashy. But then, we had another chick who worked down the hallway, who would always... (and when I say always, I mean always) rock the fishnet look but you would swear she was about to go work the corner to hustle up some money for lunch or somethin! This girl would always wear hers with 3 1/2 inch stilettos, a tight ass top and skirt. Even her make-up was trashy. But she was sweet as pie. There were a lot of people who would judge her simply because of how she dressed. Of course none of her bosses told her what she was wearing was out of order. Maybe it was because most of them were men, and I caught many of them on more than five or ten occasions staring longingly at this girl. She, however, paid them no mind. She did her job, she didn't gossip, and she was very well spoken. But nevertheless, she was already put in a class of her own just off of her appearance.

I myself, I always go by the "if I second guess it before I walk out the door, then I need to change it"! If you're going to think twice about what you have on, then you don't need it wear it. Because you'll spend most of the day wondering if people are talking about you, or tugging on this or that, and pull this down or up! It's totally not worth it. So, what does your work attire say about you?

No comments: