6/23/2009

Jill Scott Reveals No Longer With Fiance

R&B songstress and Diiiiiiiiiiva (my ode to 'Why Did I Get Married') ,JILL SCOTT, recently sat down with Essence magazine to talk about being a new mommy, possibly being in the bowl for winning an Emmy for the hit HBO series that she stars in "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" and her recent split from her fiance and father of her 2 month old son Jett Hamilton.

ESSENCE.COM: Congrats on the possibility of an Emmy nod for Best TV Drama Actress! If you win you will be the first African-American woman to do so. Did you expect such acclaim or pressure?

Jill Scott: No pressure, but I'm excited. It's definitely something I dreamt about, and if it comes to fruition then that's wonderful. In regards to expecting the acclaim, I wish I was that forward thinking. We were just there doing a good job, and after the show was done we thought, Well, maybe. I am proud of the work that we did.

ESSENCE.COM: Congrats to you on your new bundle of joy, Jett Hamilton. How has motherhood been treating you?

SCOTT: Wonderful. I named him after a black gemstone that my makeup artist in Africa had; it was simply called Jet, and I fell in love with it and the name because I thought my beautiful baby is a gem. I truly loved being pregnant and feeling what was going on inside my body and watching it change. It's difficult to recoup but still amazing nonetheless. I would have another one.

ESSENCE.COM: So does that mean you had an easy labor of love?

SCOTT: Not at all. I was in labor for 36 hours. After that experience, anytime I have reservations and think I can't do anything I remind myself that I survived the birth of my child (Laughs). Although I didn't scream my baby into this world, the pain continued after he was born for at least three weeks. During labor I felt like I needed to put the fire out. Everybody kept telling me the pain wasn't going to last forever but after 20 hours of it I left the building. I felt like I was on the ceiling looking down at myself like, Dag, girl, you still in labor? I know my experience isn't everyone's but I believe people need to be realistic when sharing their stories about their pregnancies and birth. When he arrived I held him in my arms for about an hour and then went to sleep because I was simply exhausted.

ESSENCE.COM: Well, at least your hubby-to-be was there to support. How has he been adjusting to Jett?

SCOTT: Yes, he was there and for a couple of days afterwards while I stayed in hospital, but John and I are no longer together. When you have a baby you're dealing with a lot of emotions and I don't know how much of it had to do with us breaking up, but it happens. We definitely love our son and we are co-parenting and working on being friends. It is what it is. I have a lot of support, so I want for nothing as far as that's concerned. I know some might criticize me or the fact that my son is being raised in a single-parent home, but I wasn't raised in a two-parent home and I had a good relationship with my dad. I have hopes for him and I'm sure his father will do his part as well.

For the entire article, click here

No comments: