6/17/2009

J-Kwon Is Ready For Sophomore Album

His first single "Tipsy" was a hit back in 2004- now St. Louis rapper J-Kwon (real name Jarrell Jones) is prepping for his sophomore release "Hood Hop 2.5".

When he first hit the scene, he was a signed to So So Def. He's now an independent artist and released his Hood Hop 2 digital project back in February. This next album is set to hit the streets sometime in July and will be an entire collection of new music.

The upcoming project offers 13 original tracks from the St. Louis dynamo, as he offers a remix contest for budding producers and prepares a new online reality show in conjunction with the release. His new single is called "Louie Bounce (I Smacked Nikki)," an ode to his native St. Louis. Other standout tracks on the upcoming album include "Tipsy 09," an update of J-Kwon's 2004 smash hit "Tipsy," and "Do The Stevie", another dance favorite.

At just 23-years-old, most of J-Kwon's success came while he was still in high school, which was a blessing since his mother kicked him out of her house when he was 12 for selling cocaine. His rough upbringing gave way to edgy lyrics that became hit songs like "Tipsy," "You & Me" and "Hood Hop" in 2004, and his collaboration with Bow Wow and Jermaine Dupri "Fresh Azimiz" in 2005.

A hiatus from the hectic pace of the industry gave J-Kwon fresh insight for his future.

"I am happy to be giving my longtime fans music that excites me," said J-Kwon of his new music. "Hood Hop 2.5 is another chapter of my growth as an artist, and I look forward to giving the my generation what they want. From party songs to lyrics about life -- I can do it all. I have a long career ahead of me, and I hope the fans are ready to take this journey with me."

The album is produced mostly by J Skillz da Bandman, who also shows up on one track as a guest, while other beatmakers include Chris Rich and Beatdown Boyz. Hood Hop 2.5 is due on July 28.

No comments: