7/01/2009

Kelly Rowland Attributes Tina Knowles For Helping Her Love Herself

Singer Kelly Rowland spoke with Britain's HEAT magazine recently, and during her interview, she revealed that she learned to love herself with help from none other than Tina Knowles.

Kelly also told HEAT that she struggled with issues of self acceptance and low self-esteem. The former DC (Destinys Child) singer, now solo artist, says her troubles began as a child when she found herself wishing for a lighter complexion as the only African American girl in her class.

"There's so much peer pressure, growing up I had an identity crisis - I went to a school that was predominantly white and I was the only black girl," Rowland said. "I remember thinking, 'I don't want to be as dark as I am, I want to be a little fairer. I didn't want to be me."

Rowland says that it was Tina Knowles, who is Beyonce's mother and also was Kelly's guardian for many years, who helped her work out her issues. She says that Tina helped her to realize her beauty and uncover her hidden confidence.

"She sat me in front of the mirror and said, 'Girl, look at how pretty you are.' She made me feel comfortable in my own skin."

Although she got her start from Knowles, Rowland says she really didn't realize her full potential until adulthood.

"When I got older, I embraced who I am as a woman. I look in the mirror and I'm like, 'I like Kelly. Kelly's not so bad.' I think that it's important to instill that in our girls, to know that they posses something special and that everybody's not supposed to be the same."

No comments: