5/12/2008

Morehouse's First Caucasian Valedictorian

In the 141 years of it's existence, Morehouse University has never had a caucasian valedictorian... up until now. Joshua Packwood, a 22 year old senior economics major is graduating on Sunday with a perfect 4.0 GPA. Joshua had the opportunity to attend Ivey League schools such as Columbia, Stanford, and even Yale, but chose to go to Morehouse; Not just because of who he was physically, but because there wanted him, and wanted him based on the work that he had done in his academic career. The man that recruited him to come to Morehouse had no clue that he was white until one day, he called Joshua during his track practice and said "Don't let the white kids walk you down!" and Joshua responded "Wait... You know I'm white right?". That had to be a funny moment I'm sure, but it confirmed to Joshua that Morehouse wasn't looking to him to be the "token white boy" but they were looking to him to be the best student possible. "That said I could come here and, ironically, be accepted for who I am", Packwood said. "I thought I made the right decision then, and I know I made the right decision now."

No comments: