9/23/2008

Pete Rock Says Diddy Stole Juicy From Him

Just like me, I'm sure everybody just assumed that Diddy was the one who actually put together was of the biggest hip hop classics of all time when he and Notorious B.I.G. put out "Juicy" huh?

WRONG!!!

According to legendary hip hop dj Pete Rock, Diddy in fact, jacked him for the beat.... kind of. We all know the track was sampled from the group Mtume's song "Juicy", but this is what Pete says the idea was all his. I guess Diddy's snake in the grass ways have been around all along.

After August saw the release of Ready to Die: The OG Edition [click to listen], the debut album, released by DJ Semi, in the form of the album's demo, fans were able to hear alternative versions of the album that went platinum almost 14 years ago.

Included on the collection was a rare version of "Juicy," produced by none other than Hip Hop super-producer Pete Rock [click to read]. The 20-year veteran's version, long mistakenly thought to be a remix, predated the Diddy version, which featured an alternate chorus and different melody. After a recent interview with Grandgood.com, Rock revealed that he may have been sample-jacked by Diddy for one of Hip Hop's biggest anthems.

"Biggie and Sean came to my house one day and ['Juicy'] was playing on my drum machine," revealed Pete Rock. "Biggie thought I was making it for C.L. [Smooth]. When I told him I was just making it for myself, he immediately wanted it. I said sure, but didn’t think much of it. Then, next thing I know, I heard it playing somewhere. I’m over it now though."

In the rest of the interview, Pete Rock explains more from that recording. He says that to him, the matter was settled when he was paid, for what was billed as a remix.

Asked further about his sentiments of the deal, Pete Rock, simply stated, "Really though, I just wish Biggie was still alive for me to work with him."

No comments: