9/08/2008

Serena Gets Third US Open Title

Last night, tennis champ Serena Williams claimed her third US Open women's title with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Jelena Jankovic at Flushing Meadows in New York

Despite making 39 unforced errors, the fourth seed prevailed in just over two hours against the second seeded Serbian, who has yet to win a grand-slam title.

When asked about her win, Serena exclaimed, "I am so excited," Williams said. "Usually after a grand slam I feel like I still have another match to play but I don't really feel that way today. I feel like it's done and it's all over and I am so excited. I just think it showed on the court."

Williams, who won the US Open in 2002 and 1999, is enjoying a renaissance season on the WTA Tour with four titles, taking her career total to 32 and she plans to add to her grand slam collection. "It doesn't stop here," she said. "I feel so young and so energized every week. It feels like I am having a new career."

Jankovic, who was competing in her first grand slam final, said she squandered her chances on the big points. "I am disappointed that I lost," she said. "It is not pleasing when you lose. I felt I had her because she was really tired at the end of the second set. "I gave everything. I had had my chances in the first set and second set. I had some unlucky points I should have won them and I didn't. "Serena played better tonight. She was too good."

This is the ninth time in history that a grand-slam final has featured two women battling for No 1 in the world. Williams surpasses former No 1 ranked player, Ana Ivanovic, who reigned for 12 weeks before being knocked out in the second round of the final major championship of the season.

No comments: